How it works
Voltaren Emulgel Back & Muscle Pain is formulated for rubbing into the skin to relieve acute pain affecting the joints and muscles. The active substance, diclofenac diethylamine, belongs to the group of medicines called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) that work by blocking the production of particular substances, called prostaglandins, which are involved in the development of pain and inflammation.¹
For adults and adolescents 16 years and older:
- Apply gel 3 to 4 times a day.
- The amount needed will vary depending upon the size of the painful or swollen area: 2g to 4g (1 g equals a strip approximately 2 cm long) gel will be sufficient to cover a 400 to 800 cm² area.
- Use as per product package directions.
1g Voltaren Emulgel Back & Muscle Pain contains 11.6mg of the active ingredient, diclofenac diethylamine.
Do not exceed the stated dose. Always read the enclosed insert before use to check if this product is suitable for you.
Voltaren Emulgel Back & Muscle Pain:
For adults and adolescents 16 years and older (regular strength):
- Apply gel 3 to 4 times a day on the affected area.
- The amount needed will vary depending upon the size of the painful or swollen area: 2g to 4g (1g equals a strip approximately 2 cm long) gel will be sufficient to cover a 400 to 800 cm2 area. Do not use more than 4 times in 24 hours.
- Instructions on how to open the tube:
- Tube: To remove the security seal before first use, remove the cap off the tube.
- Tube: Firmly insert the star-shape groove located on the reverse side of the cap into the star-shaped security seal of the tube.
- Tube: Firmly turn the cap to remove the security seal from the tube.
- Tube: Gently squeeze out a small amount of gel from the tube and apply to the affected area, slowly rubbing into the skin.
- You may notice a slight cooling effect when you rub the gel in.
- Tube: After use, place the cap back on the tube and store in an upright position.
- Wash your hands after rubbing in Voltaren Emulgel Back & Muscle Pain to avoid accidental contact with the mouth and eyes.
The gel should not be used for more than 7 days for muscle and joint injuries unless recommended by a doctor. Talk to your doctor if your condition does not improve within 7 days, or if it gets worse.
In case of drug overdose, contact a health care practitioner, hospital emergency department or regional Poison Control Centre immediately, even if there are no symptoms.
If you dispense more gel than needed, wipe off the surplus gel with a tissue.
If you, or a child accidentally swallows the gel, contact your doctor immediately.
If you miss applying Voltaren Emulgel Back & Muscle Pain at the correct time, apply it when you remember and then next apply it at the usual time. Do not apply a double quantity.
What is an analgesic?
Analgesic is the medical term for a pain-killer, a drug that can provide relief from pain. Some analgesics stop pain by desensitizing local nerve endings (for example, in the painful joint); others work ‘centrally’ in the parts of the brain where pain is perceived.
What is diclofenac diethylamine?
Diclofenac diethylamine is an analgesic, a medicine that relieves pain. Diclofenac diethylamine belongs to a group of analgesics called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
What is an NSAID?
NSAID is an abbreviation for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. NSAIDs are a group of analgesics that are widely used to relieve pain and inflammation, and include diclofenac diethylamine, ibuprofen and aspirin. NSAIDs reduce the production of prostaglandins, which cause pain and inflammation.
Is Voltaren Emulgel a type of heat rub?
Voltaren Emulgel Back & Muscle Pain works differently. It is a medicated gel containing a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory ingredient, which penetrates the skin to provide local relief of pain and inflammation.¹
How long should I use Voltaren Emulgel Back & Muscle Pain?
Voltaren Emulgel is for temporary pain relief. The gel should not be used for more than 7 days for muscle and joint injuries unless recommended by a doctor. Talk to your doctor if your condition does not improve within 7 days, or if it gets worse.
Health, wellness & your pain
Pain is rarely just physical nor is it always solved by taking medicine alone. Voltaren is your ally in helping you take more control of your pain journey, from the way to sleep, to what you eat, mental wellbeing and complementary pain relief therapies.